POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : due date is passed : Re: due date is passed Server Time
29 Apr 2024 13:05:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: due date is passed
From: Jim Charter
Date: 2 Mar 2004 09:05:02
Message: <4044948e$1@news.povray.org>
gonzo wrote:

> St. <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:404420a1@news.povray.org...
>
>>     Hi JC, there could have been a few late-comers, so it might have
>>broken the 40 barrier. I only had about an hour left before posting my
>>image, so I wonder how many people actually attempted an image but
>>didn't enter? It would be nice if those that tried but didn't/couldn't
>>enter the IRTC, left their names in a list, so that we know how many
>>*possible* entrants there actually were.
>

> Well, mine was #37 and I got it in with about an hour to spare.  Checking
> the directory now, I count 41 entries, assuming all are valid.
>
> RG

Glad to see you got one in.  I'm #40, thought I'd be the last.  It was a
significant commitment of time for me but I really couldn't pass on the
topic, given the direction I have more recently taken with cg.  The
topic does risk being hackneyed,... is there anything original left in
myth?  But it is almost infinitely rich in variety.

It never ceases to amaze me how difficult a task master raytracing is.
The standard of producing a complete scene, with every element of the
scene brought to a high level of articulation makes for an enormous
undertaking.  Hats off to those who can actually get it all done.  Any
many do.  You need to wage war on a strategic as well as tactical level.
There seems to be not enough time for experiment and invention, yet you
cannot move foreward without constant invention.  Phew!  Love it and
hate it.

I broke an enormous amount of new ground with this entry in terms of my
own learning,... very satisfying.  But a lot of it never made it into
the picture,... not so satisfying.  I assume it is the same for
everyone.  Some pictures go like that a little more than others.  The
most valuable thing I did this time was to create a junk file that I
could discard code chunks into.  This made it easier to move through
ideas without loosing some bit of coding that I thought to be
particularily clever.